Profile & Practice Areas
Kevin O’Dowd partners with his clients in evaluating and executing strategic decisions, carefully advises his clients on both the legal and economic aspects of their case, and strives to consistently meet his clients’ needs in an efficient and timely manner. He is a member of the Litigation Practice Group, with over 30 years of experience specializing in Commercial and Business Litigation, Construction Litigation, Steel and Automotive Industry Purchasing/Supply Disputes, Trademark Infringement, Shareholder Disputes, Insurance and General Liability Defense, and General Liability Defense, and General Land/Use, Real Estate and Zoning matters. Kevin maintains a broad commercial practice and has litigated, tried and mediated numerous cases to completion on behalf of large and small companies, municipalities, small business owners and individuals.
Kevin has had the privilege of working and learning alongside highly skilled trial lawyers throughout his career. He appreciates the value of these experiences and sets the bar high in being well prepared and providing excellent legal services.
Additionally, as a certified mediator in state and federal courts, Kevin draws upon his litigation experience to assist disputing parties as they move from conflict to resolution.
Through his active involvement in the community, Kevin has served on several non-profit boards and foundations, including the Pediatric Oncology Resource Team at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital and as a hearing panelist with the Attorney Grievance Commission.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent
- Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, Construction and Land Use Zoning Litigation, 2011-2017
- Leading Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Land Use, Zoning & Condemnation Law, 2014-2017
- State Bar of Michigan, Distinguished Leadership Award, Litigation Section, 2005
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Distinguished Brief Award, Recipient, 2009
- State Bar of Michigan; Litigation Section, Past President, 2004-2005
- Grand Rapids Bar Association; Former Trustee, Vice President, 2017-2018
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of Michigan; Past President, 2007-2008; Bench/Bar Planning Committee, 2008 and 2011; Steering Committee Member, Voluntary Facilitative Mediation Program
- State of Michigan, Attorney Discipline Board, Hearing Panelist
- State of Michigan, Attorney Grievance Commission, Hearing Panelist
- Hillman Advocacy Program, Western District of Michigan, Faculty Member, 2017-2018
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, Pediatric Oncology Resource Team (P.O.R.T.), Former Board Member