Profile & Practice Areas
Kevin O’Dowd partners with his clients in evaluating and executing strategic decisions, carefully advises his clients on both the legal and economic aspects of their case, and strives to consistently meet his clients’ needs in an efficient and timely manner. He is a member of the Litigation Practice Group, with over 30 years of experience specializing in Commercial and Business Litigation, Agribusiness Disputes, Construction Litigation, Purchasing/Supply Disputes, Trademark Infringement, Shareholder Disputes, Insurance and General Liability Defense, and Land/Use, Real Estate and Zoning matters. Kevin maintains a broad commercial practice and has litigated, tried and mediated numerous cases to completion on behalf of large and small companies, municipalities, small business owners and individuals.
Kevin is a faculty member of the Hillman Advocacy Program, a premier trial skills workshop co-hosted by the Western District of Michigan and the Federal Bar Association. He currently serves as Present-Elect of the Grand Rapids Bar Association.
Additionally, as a qualified mediator in state and federal courts, Kevin often assists other parties in resolving their litigation disputes.
Through his active involvement in the community, Kevin has served on several non-profit boards and foundations, including the Pediatric Oncology Resource Team at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital and as a hearing panelist with the Attorney Grievance Commission.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent, listed for 15 years
- Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, Construction and Land Use Zoning Litigation, 2011-2018
- Leading Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Land Use, Zoning & Condemnation Law, 2014-2018
- State Bar of Michigan, Distinguished Leadership Award, Litigation Section, 2005
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Distinguished Brief Award, Recipient, 2009
- State Bar of Michigan; Litigation Section, Past President, 2004-2005
- Grand Rapids Bar Association; Vice President, 2017; President-Elect, 2018
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of Michigan; Past President, 2007-2008; Bench/Bar Planning Committee, 2008 and 2011; Steering Committee Member, Voluntary Facilitative Mediation Program
- Hillman Advocacy Program, Western District of Michigan, Faculty Member, 2016 - Present
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- The Right Place of Grand Rapids, Member
- Economic Club of Grand Rapids, Member
- Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, Pediatric Oncology Resource Team (P.O.R.T.), Former Board Membe