Profile & Practice Areas
In the course of providing legal advice and support to Kotz Sangster’s clients’ human resources department, Heather G. Ptasznik believes that putting sound, preventive measures in place can assist in reducing potential liabilities. Heather works closely with human resources personnel to ensure the firm’s clients have effective, clear and comprehensive policies and procedures in place to best protect themselves. She believes that being proactive helps clients avoid litigation and statutory violations before incurring devastating fines, costs and being distracted from core business concerns.
To help clients reduce their risk of being sued based on a misunderstanding or lack of knowledge of applicable employment laws, Heather provides day-to-day counseling to human resources personnel. She can also prepare a training program or specific seminars to teach and advise personnel about the legal aspects of their jobs. Heather’s experience includes:
- Defending employers against claims involving: FMLA, harassment and discrimination, unemployment compensation, wage and hour, and wrongful termination.
- Defending administrative claims before the EEOC and MDCR.
- Counseling employers on hiring and termination decisions.
- Preparing employment policies and handbooks.
- Conducting Human Resources audits.
- Conducting training seminars for supervisory and non-supervisory personnel.
- Business Employment Law
- Construction Labor and Employment
- Employment Law
- Employment Litigation
- Human Resources Counseling and Administration
- Human Resources Counseling and Administration for Businesses
- Labor Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Trade Secrets/Unfair Competition/Non-Competes