Profile & Practice Areas
Jeffrey M. Sangster is a founding member of Kotz Sangster. For more than 30 years, his practice has focused on all aspects of construction law, from construction contract drafting and negotiations, contract review and risk analysis, to claim resolution through litigation, arbitration, facilitation and mediation.
Jeff represents a diverse mixture of clients, including construction managers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, bond companies, governmental and quasi-governmental entities, developers, non-profits and manufacturers. Jeff and his team specialize in a wide variety of commercial, industrial, and civil projects which encompass hospitals, stadiums, casinos, hotels, ethanol plants, churches, historic properties, sewer and infrastructure, bridges, automotive paint lines, correctional facilities and manufacturing plants, as well as most other types of construction, including commercial and residential developments.
Jeff has an intimate understanding of contractors and their business objectives. He has specific knowledge and experience in design, site work, foundations, structural steel, masonry, electrical/mechanical, roofing systems, finish trades, etc.
Together with the construction team, Jeff has developed risk mitigation programs which involve all aspects of the construction process, from the bid phase though contract negotiations and project administration, as well as project closeout. He has also obtained significant victories for clients through arbitration and litigation in courts throughout the country. His litigation experience includes significant involvement in delay claims, including complex Critical Path Method analysis, defect claims, design claims, construction liens, payment and performance bond claims, complex insurance coverage issues, and complex environmental issues. He sits as an arbitrator on the construction panel for the American Arbitration Association and, therefore, he is afforded the opportunity to view a construction dispute from both sides of the table, which is of significant benefit to his clients.
- Administrative Proceedings
- Claim Litigation/Arbitration
- Construction Project Development
- Contract Drafting and Negotiation
- Environmental Law for Construction
- Insurance and Bonding
- Lien, Bond, Trust Fund Act Compliance and Enforcement
- Risk Analysis and Mitigation Plan
- Strategic Assistance with Project Execution
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent
- Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2006-2017
- DBusiness, Top Lawyers, Construction Law, Construction Litigation, 2013-2017
- Leading Lawyers, Construction Law, 2014-2017
- Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association (MITA)
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- Construction Association of Michigan (CAM)
- The Salvation Army, Eastern Michigan Division, Advisory Board
- The Salvation Army, Harbor Light Center, Advisory Council
- The Salvation Army Outdoors