Profile & Practice Areas
James Y. Stewart leads the Maritime and Recreational Boating Practice Group, utilizing a diverse skill set to creatively solve problems. His practice areas also include general corporate and business law, formation of corporations and joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, contracts, shareholder agreements, commercial law and real estate. Jim’s clients include individuals, closely held businesses, and multinational corporations.
Jim has spent 40 years:
- In yacht financing, vessel documentation, and the perfection and collection of maritime liens, including preferred ship mortgages.
- Representing landlords and tenants in the negotiation of commercial leases, handling the purchase and/or sale of commercial and residential real estate, and assisting clients with environmental issues.
- Assisting clients with obtaining construction permits and bottomland leases from the State of Michigan.
- Consulting with clients on business management, corporate governance, joint ventures, asset and stock purchases and sales.
Jim is a frequent speaker on issues relating to recreational boating and maritime lending. He serves as general counsel to the Michigan Boating Industries Association and the National Marine Lenders Association.
- Commercial Contracts
- Commercial Property Leasing
- Corporate and Business Planning Services
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Environmental Law for Businesses
- Environmental Law for Real Estate
- Family Succession Planning for Business Owners
- Maritime and Recreation Boating
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Nonprofit and Charitable Organizations
- Private Equity and Exit Transactions
- Real Estate Project Development
- Real Property Sales and Acquisitions
- Real Property, Development, Construction and Financing
- Succession Planning for Business Owners
- Tax and Economic Incentives
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent
- Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate
- Leading Lawyers, Transportation Defense Law: Maritime, 2014-2021
- State Bar of Michigan
- National Marine Lenders Association, General Counsel, 1990-Present
- Michigan Boating Industries Association, General Counsel, 1990-Present
- Recreational Boating Industries Educational Foundation
- Michigan Clean Marina Foundation
- Association for Corporate Growth - Detroit