Profile & Practice Areas
As a former insurance underwriter and insurance coverage and defense counsel with Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) Masters Level Certification, George F. Curran, III understands the nuances of policy language and the intricacies of environmental and occupational health and safety risk management to furnish clients with the highest degree of legal and professional guidance and representation, before courts and regulatory bodies. He has extensive experience in the areas of environmental and insurance law. George is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell for Environmental, Insurance and Litigation and is included as a “Super Lawyer” and DBusiness Top Lawyer from 2014 through 2017.
George represents the Responsible Recyclers Association and is a member of recycling industry stakeholder group working to develop sustainable practices and procedures.
As National Coordinating Counsel for the largest program of Environmental Impairment Liability Insurance ever written in North America, George has successfully represented clients in State and Federal Courts in complex environmental contamination litigation in more than 22 states.
Appointed to the Michigan Climate Action Council Residential Commercial and Industrial Workgroup by gubernatorial Executive Order, George also counsels firm clients on bio fuel, alternative fuel, alternative energy, “Green” building codes, and economic development incentives, including pollution prevention grant and assistance programs, sustainability initiatives, brownfield redevelopment funding.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent; Environmental Law, Insurance and Litigation
- Super Lawyers, Environmental Law, 2014-2018
- DBusiness, Top Lawyers, Environmental Law, 2014-2018
- Leading Lawyers, Environmental Law, Insurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law, 2014-2018
- State Bar of Michigan, Environmental Law Section, Council Member, 2009-2017; Sustainability and Climate Change Committee, 2008-2014
- American Bar Association, Vice Chair, Government and Private Sector Innovation Committee, 2013-2015
- Michigan Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Michigan Manufacturers Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), P3 Committee, Member, 2016-2018
- Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers of Michigan; Past President and Board Member, 1992-2018
- Michigan Climate Action Council; Industrial, Commercial and Residential Work Group, Gubernatorial Appointee
- Detroit Regional Chamber, Energy and Environmental Policy Committee, Member, 2008-2018
- Wayne State University, Chemical Engineering Graduate Department, Adjunct Professor
- Knights of Columbus, Council Advocate and Membership Director, 2008-2018