Profile & Practice Areas
With a unique breadth of experience including full service family and business law, Mitt leads our rapidly growing Southwest Michigan offices with a passion for attentive client service. Clients know Mitt for his assertive and often creative litigation style that overcomes complex barriers and consistently delivers exceptional results.
Since joining Kotz Sangster in 2011, Mitt has furthered trusting relationships with clients and the community across Southwest Michigan and Northwest Indiana. The reputation of Mitt and his team for accessible, strategic counsel has driven rapid growth among business owners, municipalities and families across the region. It’s common for clients to trust Mitt with both their corporate counsel and all family matters, from estate planning to divorce.
Mitt carries a strong sense of commitment to the community. He serves as chairperson to the Greater Michiana YMCA, where he has stewarded growth through consolidation and regional partnership of several branches. He has also supported Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwest Michigan and the Fernwood Botanical Gardens through representation.
Mitt is the Managing Director of our Southwest Michigan offices, a member of our Board of Directors, a company Shareholder, and he serves as General Counsel for the firm.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2019-2024
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year - Kalamazoo Area, Family Law, 2022
- Super Lawyers, Family Law, 2023
- Leading Lawyers, Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense Law - Felonies and Misdemeanors; Family Law; Land Use, Zoning and Condemnation Law, 2019-2022
- Leader Publications, Reader’s Choice, Best of the Best - Silver Winner 2015-2017, Gold Winner 2018, Silver Winner 2019-2020
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Berrien County Bar Association
- Cass County Bar Association, President, 2022
- Michigan Association for Justice
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys
- Michigan Municipal League
- Collaborative Practice Institute of Michigan
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Fernwood Botanical Gardens
- Masonic Lodge
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Berrien & Cass Counties
- YMCA of Southwest Michigan; Board of Directors, President; Niles-Buchanan YMCA, Board of Directors, former President; Benton Harbor - St. Joseph YMCA, Volunteer
- Ferry Street Center
- City of Niles, Parks and Recreation Dept., Board of Directors, former President
- Detroit Athletic Club (DAC), Member