Profile & Practice Areas
Mark Johnson’s practice is primarily focused on commercial litigation, and he is a member of the firm’s Construction Practice Group.
A thoughtful, business-minded litigator, Mark has a proven record of obtaining favorable results for clients in complex tort and commercial cases, including helping many clients prevail on case-dispositive motions well before trial. He has handled various matters involving federal agencies and has successfully represented clients in many significant lawsuits. Mark also has extensive experience with e-Discovery and general discovery related matters, which help him gain key strategic advantage for his clients, as well as helping to reduce the financial burden so often associated with record-intensive lawsuits. He is an analytical problem solver with strong research, writing and communication skills. But most of all, Mark is known for his authenticity and level-headedness. Leveraging these traits and abilities, Mark consistently resolves issues for his clients, while helping them manage risk and limit exposure, with their long-term goals in mind.
Before joining Kotz Sangster, Mark worked for a respected law firm in the Metro Detroit area where he represented clients in all phases of litigation. While studying law in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, he worked as a legal intern with the Office of the General Counsel at IQVIA (the world’s largest biopharmaceutical CRO). He also gained practical IP-law experience working under Professor Deborah Gerhardt (the head of UNC Law’s IP Department).
Mark earned his undergraduate degree from Western Michigan University, where he was also a member of a fraternity and the club baseball team. Before attending law school, he enjoyed several years of professional experience within the financial industry, and held a sales-and-marketing position with a professional sports organization, gaining valuable knowledge and leadership merits. He received his Juris Doctor from The University of North Carolina School of Law, where he served as a staff member for the North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation, and as the Vice President of UNC Law’s Sports & Entertainment Law Association.
• Successfully defended commercial real estate action on behalf of Fortune 25 nationwide retailer.
• Acted as trial counsel for large trucking company in defense of auto-negligence case involving nine parties, and reached a favorable settlement at just five percent of the plaintiff’s demand.
• Represented major automobile manufacturer in high-exposure product liability cases.
• Managed numerous complex e-discovery projects on behalf of major automobile manufacturer for multiple actions involving federal agencies.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Construction Litigation, Business Litigation, 2019-2020
- State Bar of Michigan; Young Lawyers Section, Litigation Section
- Oakland County Bar Association; New Lawyers Committee, Director
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Federal Bar Association; Member