Profile & Practice Areas
Kathryn R.S. Spray has developed a broad corporate law specialty with emphasis on transactional work over the course of her three decades of legal practice. She has provided counsel in a wide variety of matters ranging from the incorporation and administration of small businesses and nonprofit organizations, to negotiating and documenting multi-million-dollar mergers and acquisitions. Kathryn has been an active member of a number of local charitable boards, associations, and organizations throughout her career, and has been elected to sit on the Board of Directors and retained as General Counsel for several local businesses and nonprofit organizations. Kathryn is an award-winning intellectual property attorney, having represented clients through the United States Patent and Trademark Office application process, as well as their appeals process leading up to and including the Federal Court of Appeals. Her corporate law experience extends into the commercial real estate space as well, having provided counsel in a number of commercial leasing transactions.
Kathryn has been admitted to and successfully represented clients at all levels of the Michigan court system, as well as in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the Federal Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the Federal Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. She has passed the Michigan Real Estate Licensing examination, and is a LEED accredited professional with the United States Green Building Council.
In addition to her career experiences, Kathryn has a lifetime of experience working in and around closely-held corporations. Her personal experiences have given her an appreciation for the practical difficulties that today’s business owners face, allowing her to provide a unique level of assistance to clients when balancing their legal needs with practical solutions.
Kathryn is a member of the firm’s Corporate Practice Group, focusing on mergers and acquisitions and real estate practice.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate Law, 2023
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, Intellectual Property and Patent Law, 2018-2022
- Avvo, Rated 9.0
- American Jurisprudence Awards (2), 1994
- State Bar of Michigan, Business Law Section, Real Property Law Section, Intellectual Property Section
- Attorneys for Animals
- Michigan Real Estate License, 2007
- United States Green Building Council, Certified LEED-AP, 2009
- Notary Public
- University of Michigan Alumni Association
- Notre Dame Preparatory School and Marist Academy; Parent Club Committee Chair, 2013-2016
- St. Mary, Our Lady of Sorrows; Catechist, 2013-2015
- Spring Mills Elementary; Co-Chairperson, 2012-2014
- St. Patrick Athletic Association; Board Member, 2009-2011
- St. Patrick School; Auction Chairperson, 2011
- Knobby Hill Farms Association; Vice President, 2005-2012, Committee Chair 2013-2021
- Huron Valley Schools; Committee Chairperson, Guest Teacher, 2016
- Aging Paws, Inc., Animal Welfare; President, Executive Director; 2018-Present