As a former insurance underwriter and insurance coverage and defense counsel with Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) Masters Level Certification, George F. Curran, III understands the nuances of policy language and the intricacies of environmental and occupational health and safety risk management to furnish clients with the highest degree of legal and professional guidance and representation, before courts and regulatory bodies. He has extensive experience in the areas of environmental and insurance law and has litigated and defended wetlands, water law, air quality and permitting, groundwater remediation and complex insurance coverage cases and has successfully defended clients in regulatory permitting and enforcement actions.
George serves as practice group leader of the firm’s Environmental Law and Insurance Coverage/Risk Management practice groups. He is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell for Environmental, Insurance and Litigation and has been included as a Michigan Super Lawyer and DBusiness Top Lawyer since 2014.
Additionally, he represents the Responsible Recyclers Association, is a member of recycling industry stakeholder group working to develop sustainable practices and procedures, and a member of the state’s Scrap and Salvage Stakeholder Group.
As National Coordinating Counsel for the largest program of Environmental Impairment Liability Insurance ever written in North America, George has successfully represented clients in State and Federal Courts in complex environmental contamination litigation in more than 22 states.
George was appointed to the Michigan Climate Action Council Residential Commercial and Industrial Workgroup by gubernatorial Executive Order. He also counsels firm clients on bio fuel, alternative fuel, alternative energy, “Green” building codes, and economic development incentives, including pollution prevention, grant and assistance programs, sustainability initiatives and brownfield redevelopment funding.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent; Environmental Law, Insurance and Litigation
- Super Lawyers, Environmental Law, 2014-2019
- Leading Lawyers, Environmental Law, Insurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law, 2014-2018
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, Environmental Law, Energy Law, Litigation - Insurance, 2014-2020
- State Bar of Michigan, Environmental Law Section, Council Member, 2009-2017; Sustainability and Climate Change Committee, 2008-2014
- American Bar Association, Vice Chair, Government and Private Sector Innovation Committee, 2013-2015
- Michigan Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Michigan Manufacturers Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), P3 Committee, Member, 2016-2018
- Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers of Michigan; Past President and Board Member, 1992-2018
- Michigan Climate Action Council; Industrial, Commercial and Residential Work Group, Gubernatorial Appointee
- Detroit Regional Chamber, Energy and Environmental Policy Committee, Member, 2008-2018
- Wayne State University, Chemical Engineering Graduate Department, Adjunct Professor: Environmental Law and Administration, Environmental Auditing, Real Estate Due Diligence, Risk Management and Insurance
- Knights of Columbus, Council Advocate and Membership Director, 2008-2018
- City of Farmington Hills, Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, Member, 2015-Present