Profile & Practice Areas
Dennis K. Egan has represented large clients defending national class actions in the federal courts and small clients in the state courts addressing contractual disputes. He is an accomplished trial lawyer with decades of experience successfully representing clients in lawsuits and arbitration proceedings brought in Michigan and throughout the country. The key focus of his approach is threefold: First, be creative in assembling the evidence and arguments that support our clients’ positions. Second, be equally creative in crafting appropriate and workable solutions to the problem at hand. Finally, outwork and outthink your opponents to get the best possible result for the client.
That approach has been consistently successful. This includes a large number of successful securities arbitrations before the NYSE, NASD, FINRA Dispute Resolution, and the American Arbitration Association, as well as defending class actions in the state and federal courts in both securities and non-securities matters. He has litigated corporate oppression and “business divorce” matters. And, for example, he successfully sued rapper Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson regarding a trade secret claim and obtained a $17 million arbitration award for his client, which was confirmed in court.
Dennis is conscious of the problems that traditional courtroom litigation poses to clients, including the fundamental expense of discovery and motion practice, and the immense delay in having to wait for a trial date. Accordingly, he is also an experienced arbitration and mediation lawyer, having successfully arbitrated cases in Alaska, Florida, Arizona, New York and elsewhere in various arbitration forums. He is also a recognized expert in the field of arbitration law, including attacks on arbitration awards. He is also a mediator.
Within his general commercial practice over the past 40 years, Dennis has also done extensive work representing investment professionals, securities broker/dealers, and futures commission merchants in defending customer claims, recruiting disputes and regulatory proceedings.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Securities, 2021-2024
- Super Lawyers, Securities Litigation, Business Litigation, 2007-2023
- Leading Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, 2014-2022
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, Litigation / Commercial, Securities Law, 2014-2023
- Oakland County Bar Association, 40-Year Honoree, 2018
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association; Litigation Section - State Laws Subcommittee, Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee, Co-Chair; Broker/Dealer Litigation Subcommittee, Federal Regulation of Securities Committee, Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association; Counsel Member
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), Arbitrator, 2020 Appointment
- Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan
- U of M Alumni Association