Profile & Practice Areas
Gregory L. Wysocki serves as president of Kotz Sangster. He has a special focus on counseling owners and management of closely held entrepreneurial companies, including family owned companies, in connection with succession planning, shareholder agreements and buy-sell agreements.
As the Practice Group Leader of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group, he has substantial experience in planning, negotiating and implementing various types of merger and acquisition transactions, representing both buyers and sellers, as well as recapitalizations. Greg represents equity funds in connection with their merger and acquisition needs as well as structuring shareholder control agreements. He also serves as outside general counsel to portfolio companies providing a wide range of services and legal advice.
Greg regularly advises businesses and boards of directors regarding business and legal problems related to corporate governance matters, shareholder relations, claims alleged by shareholders seeking to commence derivative litigation, strategic planning for litigation and the performance of a director’s duties.
His industry expertise includes construction, automotive, aerospace, defense, government contracting, oil and gas components, distribution/packaging, specialty machining, and manufacturing companies in the plastics, aluminum, casting and forging, and fabrication industries.
As a result of the cyclical business climate of the Detroit business market in general and the automotive market specifically, Greg has developed an expertise in representing clients who are thrust into “work-out” situations, including assisting in the development and implementation of a turnaround strategy, negotiating forbearance agreements and voluntary surrender agreements with secured creditors, and assisting clients in non-bankruptcy insolvency proceedings, including composition arrangements and state law liquidation procedures such as assignments for the benefit of creditors.
In the course of providing legal advice and strategic business planning to clients, Greg’s first step is to understand his client’s business philosophy and then provide legal advice and strategic business planning in a manner that is consistent with the client’s business philosophy.
Greg is the firm’s representative to Lawyers Associated Worldwide (LAW), a global association of over 100 independent law firms located in major commercial centers throughout the world.
- Bank Financing for Businesses
- Corporate and Business Planning Services
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Restructuring and Debtor/Creditor’s Rights and Relationships
- Family Succession Planning for Business Owners
- Government Contracting
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Property Taxation, Reassessments, Incentives and Abatements
- Succession Planning for Business Owners
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV-Preeminent
- Best Lawyers in America, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Corporate Law, 2018-2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year - Detroit Area, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, 2022
- Super Lawyers, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2016-2022
- Leading Lawyers, Closely & Privately Held Business Law, Corporate Finance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law; 2014-2022
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2014-2023
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth - Detroit
- Clarkston State Bank, Board of Directors, 2016 - 2019
- Detroit Athletic Club (DAC), Member